Funded by a portion of revenues from Florida’s Sea Turtle Specialty License Plate, the Sea Turtle Grants Program distributes funds each year to support sea turtle research, conservation and education programs that benefit Florida sea turtles. Approximately 70% of the funding generated by sales of the tag goes to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s Marine Turtle Protection Program to support research and management activities related to sea turtles. Approximately 30% is distributed to the Sea Turtle Grants Program. The Sea Turtle Grants Program is administered by the non-profit Sea Turtle Conservancy.
Looking for a project idea? Read through the Suggested Project Ideas.
2023 – 2024 Funding Cycle:
* Please only submit 8 hard copies, not 10, of your grant proposal and supporting materials. Please also make sure that the digital version of the cover sheet, budget and body of your project proposal is in MS Word format, not PDF format. Supporting documents, including research proposals, can be uploaded as PDF files.
* All digital files must be labeled with the Project Manager’s Name, a Short Project Name, and the document name. Example: JohnSmith_ProtectingSeaTurtles_CoverSheet.doc
* The digital version of the cover sheet does not need to be signed.
* Digital copies of the full application should be submitted through an online submission form, not by email, CD or flash drive. When submitting the digital version of your application, please use the Sea Turtle Grants Program Digital Submission Form.
Due Dates for 2023 – 2024 Funding Cycle:
Completion of review of Proposals
Proposals provided to Grant Committee
Committee Meeting to Award Funds*
January 27, 2023
February 3, 2023
March, 2023 (exact date TBD)
Funded Projects will begin upon execution of contract, anticipated to be May 1, 2023, and be completed within 1 year.
* Grant projects that require Marine Turtle Permits must have the final permit approved by the date of the Committee Meeting to be considered for funding.
Proposal Guidelines & Application Forms:
Sea Turtle Grant Guidelines & Application (MS Word)
Sea Turtle Grant Guidelines & Application (PDF)
Sea Turtle Grant Cover Sheet (MS Word)
Sea Turtle Grant Budget Form (MS Word)
Funding to Support Ongoing Permit Holder Activities:
2023 – 2024 Mini-Grant Registration Form
Completed Grant Applications must be received on or before 5:00 PM, Thursday, November 10, 2022 at the address below:
Sea Turtle Grants Program
Sea Turtle Conservancy
4581 NW 6th St
Gainesville, FL 32609